Along with Watchmen came two hotly anticipated trailers. Both proved to be, like Watchmen, underwhelming.
First, the J.J. Abrams reboot of the Star Trek franchise. Now, Abrams has repeatedly and almost rather proudly proclaimed that he is not and never was a fan of Star Trek. Rather, he was raised on the epic fairy tales of a galaxy far, far away. Keeping this in mind, take a look at the Trek trailer…
Feel like you’ve seen it before? Maybe you have…
* A rebellious, fatherless protagonist
* An older stranger who urges the hero to follow in the footsteps of his forbears
* A large, circular meeting chamber
* A redemptive character born in a moment of great danger
* An arrogant hero thirsty for control
* Heavy-handed dialogue about facing fear, fulfilling destiny, and choosing paths
* Snow monsters
* A planet-destroying superlaser
So, Mr. Abrams, which famous sci-fi saga is it you’re rebooting this summer?
Second, the trailer for Terminator: Salvation. Observe Christian Bale in all his shouty Batman-voice glory below…
For better or worse, as I watched the above clip, all I could think of was this…
Now, between the prequels, sequels, remakes, reboots, and general chronological clustfuckery of both franchies, I’m not sure who’s ripping off who…but I don’t care enough to figure it out.